1. All poems must be previously unpublished and submitted via Submittable in the appropriate categories during open reading times only. Submissions cannot be accepted by post or email.
2. There is a strict submission limit of 6 poems per person.
3. Poems should be submitted in a single file, with poems separated by titles or page breaks.
4. Work should be submitted in one of the following file formats: .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf.
5. If submitting poems and prose simultaneously, they will be considered by different editors at different times, so to be sure of a response please submit separately, via the appropriate Submittable category.
6. When Submittable prompts you to type a 'cover letter', please include an up-to-date biographical note and contact details including an email address.
7. Works of translation where the original author is still in copyright will require the bios of both the original author and the translator. On the Southword contents page, the poem will be listed under the name of the original author, and the translator will be credited on the poem's page itself.
8. Poems are considered between January 1st and March 15th each year for our September issue. PLEASE NOTE after the close of the submission date the editors will make their selection. Submittable will notify you as to the success of your submission. Due to the large volume of submissions received, the editor may take up to 10 weeks after the submission deadline to make their decision. The March issue of Southword publishes poems selected through the Gregory O'Donoghue Poetry Competition.
9. Authors are paid €40 per poem published in Southword. If the writer lives outside of Ireland, they will be paid by PayPal. (Information on how to set up a PayPal account: http://www.paypal.com ).
10. If you need to withdraw a submitted poem/poems, please send a note to the editor via Submittable.
Any questions regarding these guidelines can be sent to the Publications Officer at info(AT)munsterlit(DOT)ie