1. All manuscripts must be submitted via Submittable in the appropriate categories, during open reading times only. Submissions are no longer accepted by post, as Southword is now an online journal.
2. Work should be submitted in one of the following file formats: .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf. There is a strict submission limit of 6 poems per person.
3. If submitting poems and prose simultaneously they will be considered by different editors at different times, so to be sure of a response please submit separately, via the appropriate Submittable category.
4. When Submittable prompts you to type a 'cover letter', please include an up-to-date biographical note and contact details including an email address. Nb: Works of translation where the original author is still in copyright will require the bios of both the original author and the translator. On the Southword Journal contents page, the poem will be listed under the name of the original author, and the translator will be credited on the poem's page itself.
5. Poems are considered between January and March 15th each year for our summer issue, and between early July and September 15th for our winter issue. PLEASE NOTE after the close of the submission date the editors will make a selection. Submittable will notify you as to the success of your submission. Due to the large volume of submissions received, the editor may take up to 10 weeks after the submission deadline to make their decision.
5. Authors are paid €30 per poem published in Southword Journal. If the writer lives outside of Ireland, they will be paid by Paypal. (Information on how to set up a Paypal account: http://www.paypal.com ).
6. We would strongly recommend attaching each poem as a separate document, up to the limit of six. This enables you to withdraw individual poems if they are accepted elsewhere for publication. If a writer includes multiple poems within one document, and needs to withdraw one of them, they will need to go through the submission process again to omit the relevant poem. Requests to edit documents will not be possible after the submission deadline.
Any questions regarding these guidelines can be sent to the administrator at info(AT)munsterlit(DOT)ie.