1. All stories must be previously unpublished and submitted via Submittable in the appropriate categories during open reading times only. Submissions cannot be accepted by post or email.
2. There is a strict submission limit of 1 story of up to 5000 words per person.
3. If you need to withdraw a submitted story, please send a note to the editor via Submittiable. No requests for edits will be possible after the submission deadline passes.
4. Work should be submitted in one of the following file formats: .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf.
5. If submitting poems and prose simultaneously, they will be considered by different editors at different times, so to be sure of a response please submit separately, via the appropriate Submittable category. Southword is not currently considering unsolicited submissions of non-fiction or memoir.
6. When Submittable prompts you to type a 'cover letter', please include an up-to-date biographical note and contact details including an email address.
7. Works of translation where the original author is still in copyright will require the bios of both the original author and the translator. On the Southword contents page, the story will be listed under the name of the original author, and the translator will be credited on the story's page itself.
8. Short stories are considered between January 1st and March 31st each year for our September issue. After the close of the submission date the editors will make their selection. Submittable will notify you as to the success of your submission. Due to the large volume of submissions received, the editor may take up to 10 weeks after the submission deadline to make their decision. From April through July, fiction writers may submit their work to the Seán Ó’Faoláin Short Story Competition, the winners of which will be published in the March issue of Southword.
9. Authors are paid €250 per story published in Southword. If the writer lives outside of Ireland, they will be paid by PayPal. (Information on how to set up a PayPal account: http://www.paypal.com).
10. If you your work has been selected from an unsolicited submission and published in Southword before, we ask that you please wait two years before submitting again.
Any questions regarding these guidelines can be sent to the Publications Officer at info(AT)munsterlit(DOT)ie